Wat Rachaburana (Thai: วัดราชบูรณะ) - also called the Monastery of the Royal Repairs or the Monastery of the Royal Restoration - is located on the city island in the central area of Ayutthaya at Tambon Tha Wasukri. The temple is situated on the corner of the present Chikun Road and Naresuan Road, just opposite Wat Mahathat in the vicinity of the former Pa Than bridge.The monastery stood on the west bank of Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak, an important canal, which has been filled up somewhere in the early 20th century. In ancient times the temple was likely fully surrounded by a moat. The structure has been registered as a national historic site by the Fine Arts Department on 8 March 1935 and is part of the Ayutthaya World Heritage Historical Park.
Wat Rachaburana was initially built as a basic quincunx surrounded by a covered gallery. At a later stage the monastic structure was expanded with a vihara and ubosot in an east-west axis. The vihara became partly incorporated into the gallery, while the ordination hall stood isolated on the western side. The monastery was surrounded by water, a symbolic representation of the oceans surrounding Mount Meru (represented by the prang). The complex faced Khlong Pratu Khao Pluak to its east and another Lopburi oxbow shortcut canal to the west (name not known by author).
The ubosot or ordination hall stood in the west, isolated from the gallery. The hall was accessed via an elevated porch. There were two entries in the west and two in the rear, one on each lateral side.