Viharn Phra Mongkhon Bophit (Thai: วิหารพระมงคลบพิตร) is located on the City Island within Ayutthaya Historical Park and situated south of Wat Phra Sri Sanphet and the Grand Palace. It hosts a huge Buddha image, harking back to the 15th century. The image was restored many times and is highly regarded by the Buddhist visitors.
Phra Mongkhon Bophit (Thai: พระมงคลบพิตร) or the “Buddha of the Holy and Supremely Auspicious Reverence” was sculpted in 1538 in the reign of King Chairacha (r. 1534-1547) at Wat Chi Chiang Sai. 1538 is generally accepted as the year that the image was built, based on the Luang Prasoet version of the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya (Most of the other versions put its construction at 880 of the Chulasakkarat era or somehow 20 years earlier).
Phra Mongkhon Bophit is one of the largest bronze Buddha images in Thailand with its measures of (approx.) 9.5 meters across the lap and a height of 12.5 meters (without the pedestal). The Buddha image is seated in the position of Subduing Mara.